Bilateral Yellow gland that Cap Each kidney
enclosed within Gerota's (perirenal) fascia.
weighs = 5 gm
right adrenal is triangular in shape;
left adrenal is rounded and crescentic.
composed of a 1- cortex (outer), (main bulk),controlled by the pituitary gland (mesoderm)
2- medulla (inner) chromaffin cells (derived from neural crest ectoderm).
RA lies between the liver and IVC.
LA lies close to the aorta
lower surface is covered by pancreas;
superiorly and laterally related to the spleen.
· Cortex: peripheral & composed of 3 layers: GFR
Ø zona glomerulosa (outer), secretes aldosterone
Ø zona fasciculata (middle), secretes glucocorticoids
Ø zona reticularis (inner), secretes sex hormones
· Medulla: central & composed of chromaffin cells (polyhedral cells containing eosinophilic granular cytoplasm) + ganglion and small round cells.
Each adrenal receives 3 arteries (divide to 50 small branches):
· Sup. Suprarenal a.: from the inferior phrenic artery,
· middle Suprarenal a.: from the aorta,
· Inf. Suprarenal a.: from the renal artery.
· Rt suprarenal v. → into the vena cava (very short vein);
· Lt suprsrenal v. → into left renal vein.
Nerve supply (preganglionic sympathetic)
sympathetic: greater splanchnic n., celiac plexus, aortorenal plexus (to Medulla only)
lumbar (Lat. Aortic) L.N. (lymphatic vessels accompany suprarenal vein).